Tess (R), the Con Chair for the Alaska Steamposium, challenged me to a Battle of the Bustle. I'm (L) the Masquerade Director for the convention. Since neither of us are eligible to compete in the costume contest, she thought it would be fun to compete against each other. (Photo courtesy CBLightworks)The Battle of the Bustle works like this...we each secretly create an ensemble to debut the first day of the convention. We're presented to con goers at opening ceremonies. At the admissions table we each have a jar and a photo of the outfit. Generous patrons drop money into the jar of their choice to vote. All proceeds are donated to a different charity each year. This year it was the ARC of Anchorage.
I decided to give myself an extra challenge for this project to use only items from my stash, and it turned out beautifully! As usual, I procrastinated quite a bit. I'll be adding a few more balloons to the dress, and cleaning up some of the applique stitching. I also want to rework the bustle slightly. Otherwise, it's perfect! (Next photo courtesy of CBLightworks)
The Balloons:
The skirt is made from curtains. I flipped the fabric to the wrong side for the hem to give it subtle contrast. The hat: |

No comments:
Post a Comment