We've just returned from a frightfully lovely time at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. We dressed as the Haunted Mansion. I'm the east wing. Mr. is the west wing. We met up with our old friend, the Headless Horseman, at the train station...
ABOUT THE COSTUMES:
The Haunted Mansion has purple wallpaper, and green & black stripes adorn the "servants" uniforms,which was the color inspiration for the ensembles. Our costumes are mostly thrifted. I'm wearing a black blouse and slacks. The coat is black with purple roses. Mr. is wearing a dark gray shirt, black bow tie, and green & black vest, with black on black striped slacks.
The east wing, I've decided, is the public entrance, entertaining and guest side of the house. I found this gold plastic frame at the thrifts store. The photo inside, with the two girls and ghost baby, was copied off the internet. I designed the green pin. It's a green on green striped card stock that's been aged and varnished, then glued it to an old magnetic name tag I had laying around.
The purple pin is a purple on purple striped card stock, done the same as they green one. The two girls is a real antique daguerreotype still housed in it's original frame. I picked this up a very long time ago for cheap because the other half of the frame is missing, and the outside of the case was damaged. I glued it to a double pin back. It's a bit heavy to wear, so I may create something similar as a substitute.
My makeup mimics cracked plaster. It was done with liquid eyeliner and colored with eyeshadow.
Mr's makeup shows bricks behind the plaster since he's more the cemetery side of the mansion. He's also wearing the ax wielding bride trading pin (on the shirt, below the bow tie) because, in my mind, the attic is in the west wing which is more the utility / family side of the house.
The singing busts on Mr's hat glow in the dark. They're made from PEZ tops I picked up at a thrift store, and foam. The bats are cut from card stock, varnished, and shaped.
Both our hats are costume top hats I picked up cheap somewhere. I have a lot of these laying around to use as a base for crafting, from my Steampunk era. Mine is black. I added black lace, tulle, candles, a happy ghost, spider webs, and a spider. All the candles on my hat and coat light up. I used battery operated votive candles, glued lace around the edge, and finished it off with globs of hot glue to look like melted wax. Small alligator clips were glued to the bottom to facilitate battery changes and accessing the switch. The floating candle the hat is attached to a black zip tie. The happy ghost is also a PEZ top.
The party:
There were some amazing photo pass opportunities at this party!
This was a lot of fun to put together. Mr. wants to add to more details and make it an annual event. Let the costuming evolution begin!

















No comments:
Post a Comment